How to make the perfect mashed potatoes?
You’ve always wondered how to prepare the perfect mashed potatoes? This recipe requires only a few ingredients: potatoes, butter, milk, salt and pepper (all the classics), and/or other seasonings, if ever you’re looking to add your own personal touch. We can think of some garlic, maybe some chives. All in all, we want to keep things simple. The difference lies in the potatoes you will choose, in the technique used and in the steps you will take to prepare this recipe. Here are some little tips that will help you succeed your next purée in a matter of seconds. And to top it all off, we’re given you our homemade recipe as a bonus !
Milk helps with the blending of the potatoes and gives this special creamy taste. However, we advise that you keep this step for the very end, pouring the milk in small amounts to avoid diluting your potatoes too much. This is the best way to adjust both the quantity of liquid required and the desired texture, as you want to avoid drowning your potatoes! Remember to heat the butter with the milk without melting it all the way. As the hot butter melts and is added to the potatoes, it captures the starch’s surplus and also creates this delicious smooth and silky texture.
To avoid getting a sticky result, you have to look for potatoes that will become « flaky » once cooked. This is not the easiest thing to do, especially when you’re just looking at a bunch of different types of potatoes in the supermarket. This is why we have selected potatoes that have the perfect characteristics to fit the specific preparation method and desired taste. Once cooked, the tenderness yet flakiness of our Mamzells’ Mashed Potatoe from the Uses category will help you prepare the best velvety purée of all time.
Mamzells’ Mashed Potatoes
Number of portions
- Potato masher
- 1 pot
- 1 pan
- Cutting board and kitchen knives
- 2 lb (900gr.) of potatoes from the Mamzells’ Mashed Potatoe Uses category
- ½ cup (125 ml) of hot milk
- ¼ cup (65 ml) of chopped butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: chopped chives, celery salt
- Prep-time: 25 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Ready in: 40 minutes
- Wash and cut the potatoes into small dices. Keep the skin.
- Once cleaned and cut, place the potatoes into a pot filled with cold water.
- Once your potatoes are all covered with water, place the lid on your pot and slowly bring to a boil for approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Then, gradually reduce the heat. Use a knife to check if your potatoes are cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan (or in the microwave), heat the milk and the chopped butter, avoiding boil. Set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and put them back in the pot.
- Use a potato masher to manually press the potatoes until you get a uniformly smooth texture.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and butter mixture while it is still hot until you obtain a smooth and silky purée. Finish by adding some seasoning of your choice.
- Serve warm.