Irish Beer Braised Beef
- Casserole dish
- 4 kg (3 lbs.) of red meat (wild game meat or beef)
- 60 ml (¼ cup) of vegetable oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) of chicken stock
- 1 Irish stout (Guinness)
- 3 cubed celery stalks
- 3 thinly-sliced medium-size onions
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 small container of button mushrooms
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of old-style mustard
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F).
- In an ovenproof casserole dish, brown each side of the meat in half of the oil. Salt and pepper each side generously. Once the meat is properly colored, store it on a plate.
- In the same casserole dish, brown the onion, celery and garlic cloves in a layer of oil. Add the stock and the beer and bring to a boil. Add the meat and the rest of the ingredients, except the mushrooms.
- Cover and cook in the oven for about 1½ hours. Then remove the cover, drizzle the meat, add the mushrooms and continue cooking for 2 ½ hours, until the meat flakes with a fork.